building stands at the village cross roads. It is almost certain
that a Christian place of worship has stood on this site since
Anglo Saxon Mercia was converted to Christianity in the seventh
century. Of these earlier churches there is now no trace.
in the history section the first priest to be recorded was an
Anglo Norman, Richard de Camelton. He held office from 1244 to
building dates back to the 13th century and was constructed of
rough hewn brown red sandstone. Late in the same century the South
arcade was added and in the following century the chancel was
enlarged on the South side.
aisle with its rather plain Gothic arcade and the Osbourn chapel
were added in 1649. Funds for the latter extensions almost certainly
came from the Osbourn family who had by then become well established
at Chicksands Priory and they worshipped at Campton Church.
The end of
the 19th century saw much church re-building in the County and,
perhaps unfortunately, our church did not escape extensive renovation.
The tower and much of the rest of the building was rebuilt using
mostly well cut and faced sandstone blocks.
aisle was supplied with a completely new set of windows in place
of the original 17th century lights (wood framed). All the windows
of the Church have been replaced with copies of their originals
except the East window of the Osbourn Chapel which is original.
The organ chamber too was constructed in the 1898 repair.
present century there was no proper Church in Shefford, only a
chapel at ease, and this lay within the the living of the Rector
In 1903 the
ecclesiastical parish of Shefford was formed. The Chapel became
a Church and its first Vicar was appointed 1904.