1760 the pace of change gradually increased and most of the important
advances can be dated and listed.
The road from Bedford to Baldock via Shefford was taken over
by a Turnpike Trust. Great improvements were made to the surface.
The Campton parish Enclosure Act was passed. The parish lost
its open fields. Hedges were planted. Tenant farmers came into
existence and most of the villagers became "landless labourers".
First national census, Campton's population was 316.
The Ivel Navigation was extended to Shefford. This gave the
village a cheap means of transport for its agricultural produce.
The Midland Railway line from Leicester to Hitchin via
Bedford and Shefford opened. This gave, for the first time, the
villagers an easy means of transport to nearby towns.
Compulsory elementary education started at the National
School (now the Village Hall).
School in Rectory Road opened.
The first Bedfordshire County Council elected.
The first Biggleswade Rural District Council and first
Campton Parish Council elected.
Water mains were laid to the village.
26 Council houses were built along Greenway.
Gas mains laid.
1928 Electric power reached
District Council started collecting night soil.
Parish Council installed street lighting.
Foul water main laid in village.