The following is an extract
from a book entitled 'Campton - A Study of Bedfordshire Village' by
'A village mill has existed on our river since Anglo Saxon times and
is mentioned in the Doomesday Book. Its exact position has not been
located but a likely sire is upstream and near the Gravenhurst Road.
For many centuries it played an important part in the life of our villagers
for they were not permitted to grind their own corn in hand operated querns.
The tolls collected by the miller were important supplements to the manorial
Since these earlier references there is no documentary evidence of a mill
on the present site or elsewhere until the beginning of the nineteenth century
when a 'Survey of Highways' was published. Here it was recorded that
in 1808 "William Squire had erected a mill for the Osbourn family and he had
excaavated a cut to divert the river water into the mill pond". It
was an undershot type and the water turned two large wooden wheels.
In 1860 the mill was purchased by the Gudgins - a well known local farming
family. In the latter part of its working life a coal fired steam engine
was installed and this enabled the mill to keep working in times of drought.
In 1914 it ceased to make flour for human consumption but continued to
mill provinder. It ceased working in 1937.
It was then purchased by Mr. Boston who lived in the Mill house and farmed
some adjacent land. Latterly, it came into the possession of the owners
of Woodhall Farm. In recent years it was without tenants and fell into
At a later date it was purchased by a local builder, Mr.
M. Spavins, who completely rebuilt the whole structure and turned it into
a pleasant country house.'
**Newspaper article in the Biggleswade Chronicle dated Friday
9th July 1982 showing Mr. Spavins restoring the Mill.
*The Mill (fully restored)
*Photographs courtesy of
** Copy of article courtesy of